Submit Crime Tips?- Click on the link to submit tips
**New Law for Safer Boating**?
(Effective January 1st, 2020)
If you were born on or after May 1, 1996 you will need a boating safety certificate.
Under a new law known as Brianna's Law, all motorboat operators born on or after Jan. 1, 1993 will need a boating safety certificate beginning in 2020.
Those born on or after Jan. 1, 1988 will need a boating safety certificate beginning in 2022.
Those born on or after Jan. 1, 1983 will need a boating safety certificate beginning in 2023.
Those born on or after Jan. 1, 1978 will need a boating safety certificate beginning in 2024.
All motorboat operators regardless of age will need a boating safety certificate beginning in 2025.
Approved courses include those offered by NYS Parks, the?U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, the?U.S. Power Squadrons?or?U.S.Powerboating. Certain allowances to this law have been made for visitors to New York, persons renting a boat from a livery and persons purchasing a new boat for the first time.
Links for Boating Safety Courses:
ABOUT THE BROOME COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
The 姚记体育 Sheriff's Office was established in 1806. The first sheriff, William Woodruff, rode on horseback, enforcing laws. 姚记体育 is located in south central New York state. Currently the office serves a population of approximately 197,000 people in an 850 mile patrol area. This area encompasses city, suburban and rural type settings.? The area also includes interstates 81, 86 and 88 which pass through the center of the county.
The office is broken into these divisions:
- Civil Division: responsible for handing and delivering civil processes such as judgments, evictions and auctions.
- Corrections Division: responsible for maintaining custody of prisoners remanded by courts.
- Detective Division: responsible for major crimes and juvenile violators, special investigations and major crime tracking.
- Highway Patrol Division: responsible for law enforcement, arrest of lawbreakers, criminal investigations, auto accident investigations, and public safety.
- Identification Division/Pistol Permits: responsible for pistol permits, sheriff id cards, fingerprinting, and criminal records.
- Training Division: responsible for mandated police and correctional training. Also provides all in-service training for Sheriff's Office employees and runs the Basic Police Academy for a seven county area.
- Business Office: responsible for cash receipts, cash disbursements, payroll reports and accounts payable.
- Records Division: responsible for the recording and maintaining of all official records and documents relative to the police operations of the 姚记体育 Sheriff's Office.
- Community Policing: responsible for community policing activities for the Sheriff's Office.
NYS PISTOL PERMIT?FOIL OPT OUT FORM
Select one of the links provided for the Foil Exemption Opt out Forms, fill out the form, print, sign and return by mail to the 姚记体育 Sheriff¡¯s Pistol Permit Office.
姚记体育 Sheriff¡¯s Office
(Attn: Pistol Permits)
155 Lt.VanWinkle Drive
Binghamton, NY 13905
Q: Once the form is complete, how long does it take to become effective?
A: Pistol permit information held by the county is currently exempt from FOIL and will be until May 15, 2013. At that time, those who have submitted the form will remain exempt from the FOIL provisions unless the licensing authority has refused to grant the exemption. Those wishing to apply for the exemption should do so by May 15, 2013 to avoid any disclosure.